The GOP candidates for president are getting desperate. How can I tell? TPM helps me out…
- Michele Bachmann says CBS rigged the debate so she wouldn’t get many questions, offering as proof an intended internal email that… well, actually, it might say something like that, to a fullblown, batshit paranoid person. To a normal person, it says no such thing. See the article.
- Mitt Romney offers this: “If we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will get a nuclear weapon. If we elect Mitt Romney, Iran will not.” Well, Mitt, that’s almost but not quite right: if we elect either of you, Iran will get a nuclear weapon, sooner or later. But given the history of your party’s presidents, I’d have to say that if we elect Mitt Romney, the U.S. will probably use a nuclear weapon…
- Michele Bachmann AND Herman Cain… I’ll pause while you laugh; their very existence is pretty funny… both defended the use of waterboarding.
- Michele Bachmann… OK, enough of that, readers… says the U.S. should be more like China.
- Jon Huntsman (no separate column on him; sorry) sounds almost halfway sensible, a behavior that surely disqualifies him among the GOP nutjob base.
- The Rick Santorum campaign’s post-debate spin email had the best title of any GOP document I’ve seen in a while: Draft Template.
- The Obama DoJ won (in the U.S. District Court of Eastern Virginia) its fight to force Twitter to hand over apparently Wikileaks-related information on three Twitter users which DoJ had sought without a warrant… Oh, wait, that’s not part of the campaign, that’s just real life under Obama. Never mind! At least now I’ve included all the likely Republican candidates…
And that’s the news from Lake Misbegotten the Republican Debate. We’ll return to reality in the next post.