If the gift from France had been offered to today’s Republicans, they would have turned it down for at least five reasons:
- The text on it contains no reference to low taxes;
- Maintenance and operations would cost too much;
- The sight of it might encourage immigrants;
- We don’t want people getting any ideas from this “liberty” theme;
- It’s… well, you know… French.
Be that as it may, TPM has a splendid slide show including many historical images of the Lady’s original construction. It’s worth your time if you like that sort of thing, which I certainly do.